The virtual starting line emerged from every corner of the globe. In order to promote wellbeing, the challenge encourages individuals to step away from their everyday routines to run, walk or hike a 5K.
For half a decade, we’ve proudly donned our much-coveted Dynamo T-Shirt. However, this year brings an exciting addition to our Dynamo swag collection; the new and improved Dynamo quarter zip training top!
Alongside our City vs Wharf run in London, we introduced two new in-person locations for friends of Dynamo to join our Dynamites on their runs. Our groups gathered in both Johannesburg and Stellenbosch to complete a park run. Other colleagues and friends of Dynamo participated in Norway, France, South Africa, Mauritius, Australia, America, Ireland, Morocco and Scotland!
Rav kicked off the challenge and was the first to pass the virtual finish line with a time of 27 minutes 58 seconds. Throughout the week, challengers shared their photos and 5K times to join Rav on the leaderboard.
A few stats to share:
- We covered 120km more distance than in 2022. Total distance covered from the past 4 years is below:
- 2020 – 370km
- 2021 – 310km
- 2022 – 510km
- 2023 – 630km
- This year Friends of Dynamo were on average 3 minutes 21 seconds faster than Dynamites. Average times from the past 4 years are below:
- 2020 – 31:38 (Dynamo) & 35:58 (Friends of Dynamo)
- 2021 – 29:53 (Dynamo) & 31:15 (Friends of Dynamo)
- 2022 – 38:26 (Dynamo) & 34:07 (Friends of Dynamo)
- 2023 – 41:38 (Dynamo) & 38:17 (Friends of Dynamo)
- Across all participants, we ran, walked and hiked a total of 83 hours and 3 seconds with an average pace of 7 minutes 58 seconds.
- Overall, 27 challengers beat their 2022 time, shaving off a total of 3 hours 25 minutes 4 seconds. 7/27 challengers ran this year instead of walking or hiking.
- Congratulations to Daniel A who also achieved a PB from the Dynamo 5K run!
Most Unique Location – Dharvish G (Friend of Dynamo) ran along a beautiful sandy beach in Mauritius.
Most Improved – Lara VS (Dynamo) was the most improved challenger in the same category (run or walk) they participated in last year. Lara improved her run time by 6 minutes 54 seconds.
Average Joe – Jose A (Friend of Dynamo) was the challenger closest to the average of all times! The average of all challengers was 39:50 and Jose completed his run in 39:20.
Elevation Junkie – Kayla & Eric VDW (Dynamo & Friend of Dynamo) had the highest elevation gain on their hike in ZA reaching 591m.
The Treadmill Award – Tom S (Friend of Dynamo) had the fastest run on a treadmill and completed the run in 25:42.
- Christiaan – Dynamo – 16:23
- Etienne – Dynamo – 17:54
- Nicolas – Dynamo – 18:00
Fastest female runners
- Lucy – Dynamo – 19:30
- Mariechen – Friend of Dynamo – 22:37
- Ashka – Dynamo – 23:04
- Daniël C – Dynamo – 42:15
- Issy – Dynamo – 46:53
- Rathi – Friend of Dynamo – 48:53
First Dynamite or Friend of Dynamo over the line at our in person runs
- Louw – Dynamo – 18:12 (9th overall at City vs Wharf after Etienne’s self disqualification due to entering a new time for his 5K)
- John – Friend of Dynamo – 22:52 (5th overall at the Atholl run)
Whilst we might enjoy a bit of friendly competition, enabling us to push our limits and achieve PBs, let’s not forgot that the real magic happens when we all come together and simply enjoy being part of the experience. It is the laughter, camaraderie and shared moments that make any event truly special! Thank you to all who joined in, it brought immense joy seeing your beaming faces in the photos, alongside your 5K times. We hope this challenge keeps inspiring you to step out for a walk or run, hitting pause on the day to day to enjoy the outdoors. We look forward to running or walking again in 2024!