Dynamo 5K Challenge 2022
This year Dynamites and friends returned to an in person event in London, to take on the 5K challenge and participated in the City vs Wharf 5k.
The Dynamo 5K has evolved from a London race with a few clients, to a global virtual 5K, with all that we know, in the promotion of wellbeing, the chance to connect and most importantly, earn this seasons, much coveted Dynamo 5K t-shirt.
Whilst London returned to a September race (following two years of enduring the snow, ice and dark nights), our colleagues and friends of Dynamo participated across the world in Norway, France, South Africa, Canada, Hong Kong, Mauritius, Australia, America and Ireland.
For those who may not know what the Dynamo 5K challenge is, we started the challenge in 2018, to encourage everyone to take a break from the day to day, enjoy the outdoors and stretch those legs. Dynamites and friends of Dynamo don a new bespoke Dynamo T-Shirt each year and head out for a 5K run or walk and in some cases, hike!
This year was no different, 102 challengers from across the globe joined us to complete their 5K in September.
Angharad and Lisa were the first challengers to pass the virtual finish line. Angharad ran the 5K in 21 minutes 54 seconds and Lisa walked the 5K in 58 minutes 10 seconds and completed her run outside Nelson Mandela’s home, now hotel, in Johannesburg.
In the UK, we had the opportunity to meet with some clients and friends of Dynamo in Victoria Park for an in-person race. A special shoutout goes to Jamie, who completed the 5K in 19 minutes and came 13th out of 215 runners.
A few stats to share:
- We covered 200km more distance than in 2021.
- Friends of Dynamo are on average 4 minutes 20 seconds faster than Dynamites. A huge 2 minutes 58 seconds difference from last year’s stat and taking back the title from Dynamites.
- Across all participants, we ran, walked and hiked a total of 62 hours, 1 minute and 46 seconds with an average pace of 7 minutes 18 seconds.
- Overall, 18 challengers beat their 2021 time, shaving off a total of 59 minutes 29 seconds!
- One challenger was 1 second slower than 2021 and managed to bag the spot on the top of the leaderboard!
Overall, the top participants of each category were:
Fastest female runners
- Lucy – Dynamo – 00:19:42
- Lori – Dynamo – 00:20:55
- Angharad – Friend of Dynamo – 00:21:54
Fastest male runners (and overall winners)
- Louw – Dynamo – 00:18:22
- Lance – Dynamo – 00:18:29
- Nicolas – Dynamo – 00:18:31
Fastest Friend of Dynamo runners
- Jamie – 00:19:00
- Lee – 00:20:48
- Kishan – 00:20:48
- Carmé – Dynamo – 00:39:47
- Bal – Dynamo – 00:40:57
- Jandrei – Dynamo – 00:42:24
Fastest male & female City vs Wharf runners
- Jamie – Friend of Dynamo – 00:19:00
- Ashka – Dynamo – 00:22:21
Congratulations to everyone who took part in this year’s Dynamo 5K Challenge. We hope it encourages you to continue to take a walk or run during the day. Thank you to all those who got involved and we look forward to running or walking together again in 2023.