An opportunity for an enthusiastic entry-level candidate with an interest in technology, offering flexibility to explore either an actuarial career, data analytics or Actuarial Software development pathway.
We are actuaries, problem solvers, and strategic thinkers. As a highly innovative team, we are passionate about understanding how the world of business-critical modelling is evolving, and we apply our mathematical skills, professional expertise, and intelligent automation platform to help our clients navigate their transformational journey with confidence.
Established in 2012, we have grown from one office in London, to a team of more than 80 employees across the UK, France, South Africa, Norway and Australia.
There are two key components to the business; the consulting team advises our clients on actuarial, financial and statistical modelling, and our software team continues to develop our innovative enterprise modelling platform, Psicle. This allows us to provide our clients a unique and complementary offering of a software solution and actuarial advice, and our teams work closely together across geographies to deliver these.
Being a close-knit team allows everyone to have a truly meaningful role, with the opportunity to add real value to both our clients and our growing business. Our team tells us that our people, their talent, expertise, collaboration and the work itself, is what makes Dynamo a great place to learn, thrive and grow.
Dynamo has gone from strength to strength, winning awards, building reputational credibility and growing our client portfolio – in size, complexity and geography.
This opportunity presents three alternate pathways. The candidate should motivate which pathway they desire. On the one hand, we have an opportunity for a bright and talented entry-level actuarial candidate with an interest in model building and the use of technology to improve actuarial practice. Alternatively, this opportunity could suit a candidate with a similar passion for model building together with an interest in data analytics and model optimisation, who can produce insightful and actionable intelligence, enhancing our software offering and client delivery. The third option is suited to an individual with an understanding of functional programming, who can contribute to developing the company’s modelling technology platform, Psicle, alongside a small team within Dynamo.
Working primarily on the consulting side of Dynamo, you will join a close-knit and growing team, assessing and delivering to client requirements across reserving, reporting, capital modelling and pricing.
You will support the team as we deliver professional advice based on rigorous, data-driven analyses, as well as building technical models for in-production insurance processes. In addition, you will contribute to developing the company’s technology proposition by collaborating with our actuarial software development and data analytics engineering teams.
Data Analytics Engineer pathway:
Our ideal candidate is someone who brings a natural passion for efficient data wrangling together with the ability to effectively engage with our clients to understand their business requirements. This provides a link to our consulting team and ensures transformed data is optimised and fit for purpose.
You will become a subject matter expert in model building, promoting best practice across the Dynamo group of companies, interacting with clients and colleagues alike.
Typical activities undertaken in this role might include:
- Model building, documentation, monitoring, testing, optimisation using our SQL based software, Psicle.
- Data transformation, ensuring client data is transformed in an optimal manner for application and analysis
- Integrating systems and optimising data flow
- Regular collaboration with colleagues and clients, working across multi-disciplined teams
Actuarial Software Developer pathway:
This role offers a unique and non-traditional career path.
Typical activities undertaken in this role might include:
- Assessing and identifying needs for automating calculations and data manipulations within models.
- Designing and coding algorithms in a functional programming style (F#) to solve modelling problems.
- Contributing to our reserving, capital and data analytics modelling tools codebase.
- Assisting consultants working at Dynamo as well as clients in implementing new modelling tools.
All pathways will be completed with the support of our local and international team of analysts, together with mentorship from our senior consulting and software team, who are always willing to share their deep and varied expertise. As you work across a range of projects, you will build on the foundational knowledge gained in your studies through application, transitioning that knowledge into core applied competency and building capability to progress your career.
You can enjoy career growth opportunities that extend beyond borders, supporting delivery for our clients, becoming a key part of their unique and transformational journeys, and helping us to grow the business.
Skills & qualifications
- A high-caliber graduate or early-career professional with a quantitative degree in Actuarial Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Engineering or a similar subject, with excellent grades.
- The ability to learn quickly and to use your core skills and knowledge to solve problems outside of your experience.
- A strong appreciation for the role that technology can play in businesses, either informally or through formal studies in areas such as data analytics or computer science.
- A strong self‐starter with the ability to demonstrate curiosity and inquisitiveness in your
- A collaborative nature, with a strong desire to contribute to team
- Comfortability interacting with a mix of professionals and clients from diverse backgrounds.
- Hard working; action orientated and full of
- Pursues everything with energy, drive and a need to finish; seldom gives up before finishing and stays with the team to the finish line.
- Picks up technology quickly; gains new knowledge and applies it to practice, promoting efficiencies in own role as well as sharing broader if applicable.
- Learns quickly when facing new problems; adaptable to change; analyses both successes and failures for clues to improvement.
- Genuinely cares about people; is available and ready to help; demonstrates empathy for the joy and pain of others; accessible and proactive in being so available and ready to help.
- Has a positive and constructive sense of humor, can laugh at themselves and with others, is appropriately funny and can use humor to ease tension, drive motivation and create connection with people.
We don’t have a typical ‘Dynamite’ type and having an identikit team is not what we aspire to.
However, there are a few things we do have in common.
- We value having deep expertise and broad knowledge of an area and rely on our collective expertise to add value to our clients.
- #ClientLove instantly resonates with every one of us in the team, and we each strive to deliver the best possible experience for each client.
- We all want to be a part of something disruptive and new, and we all hold the ambition to utilise our knowledge and skills to shape the way.
- Working with others is our preferred style of getting things done; we’re a tightly knit team and help each other constantly.
- We know team fit is not a one-way view, we like people that work for us to be comfortable to be themselves at work and that way, we get the best from them.
Our people are core to our success, deeply humble humans, that together achieve outstanding success.
How to apply
Recruitment is a two-way process, so we’d love to know why this could be the place for you and what you are looking for to advance your career.
To progress your application, please send your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have questions, please add these to your email, so we can discuss as part of the application/initial conversation.
Agencies: We do not require sourcing support for this role at this time, we are taking direct applications only.
Dynamo respects the uniqueness of all, if you require any support to help your application shine, or to enable you to do your best through the selection process, please let us know when sending your application so we can do everything reasonable to enable you.
Closing date: 30/11/2023
Location: Stellenbosch, South Africa