Dynamo has gone from strength to strength, winning awards, building reputational credibility and growing our client portfolio – in size, complexity and geography.
We have an opportunity for a bright and talented candidate with an interest in the use of technology to improve actuarial practice to join us for a Summer placement in November/December 2023. We will consider students in their penultimate year of university (including any intended post graduate study).
Working primarily on the consulting side of Dynamo, you will join a close-knit and growing team, assessing and delivering to client requirements across reserving, reporting, capital modelling and pricing.
You will support the team as we deliver professional advice based on rigorous, data-driven analysis, as well as building technical models for in-production insurance processes. In addition, you will gain an understanding of the company’s technology proposition by collaborating with our actuarial software development and data analytics engineering teams. All will be completed with the support of our local and international team of analysts, together with mentorship from our senior consulting team, who are always willing to share their deep and varied expertise.
Skills & qualifications
- In your penultimate year of an actuarial, mathematical, engineering, statistical or similar degree with excellent grades.
- The intention to progress towards Fellowship with the Actuaries Institute (or equivalent).
- The ability to learn quickly, and to use your core skills and knowledge to solve problems outside of your experience.
- An appreciation for the role that technology can play in businesses, for example through formal studies in data analytics or computer science, or through interests such as coding.
- Good written and verbal communication skills for interacting with clients and communicating the results of your analysis to more senior members in the team.
- Strong Excel skills. A working knowledge of SQL or R would be advantageous, but not essential.
- Full right to work and remain in Australia.
- Action orientated and enjoys working hard; pursues everything with energy, drive and a need to finish and seldom gives up, staying with the team to the finish line.
- Strong drive to problem solve and apply critical thinking in every aspect of their work.
- Picks up technology quickly; gains new knowledge and applies to practice.
- Learns quickly when facing new problems, open to change and analysing both successes and failures for clues to improvement.
- Genuinely cares about people. Is available and ready to help and demonstrates empathy for the joy and pain of others.
- Has a positive sense of humor, can laugh at themselves and with others, and can use humor to ease tension, drive motivation and create connection with people.
We don’t have a typical ‘Dynamite’ type and having an identikit team is not what we aspire to. However, there are a few things we do have in common.
- We value having deep expertise and broad knowledge of an area and rely on our collective expertise to add value to our clients.
- #ClientLove instantly resonates with every one of us in the team, and we each strive to deliver the best possible experience for our clients.
- We all want to be a part of something disruptive, new and all hold the ambition to want to add our knowledge and skills to shape the way.
- Working with others is our preferred style of getting things done; we’re a tight-knit team and help each other constantly.
- We know team fit is not a one-way street, so we like people that work for us to be comfortable to be themselves at work.
Our people are core to our success, deeply humble humans, that together achieve outstanding success.
How to apply
Recruitment is a two-way process, so we’d love to know why this could be the place for you and what you are looking for to advance your career.
To progress your application, please send your CV, academic transcript and cover note to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications close 20th August 2023.
If you have questions, please add these to your email, so we can discuss as part of the application/initial conversation.
Agencies: We do not require sourcing support for this role at this time, we are taking direct applications only.
Dynamo respects the uniqueness of all, if you require any support to help your application shine, or to enable you to do your best through the selection process, please let us know when sending your application so we can do everything reasonable to enable you.
Closing date: 20/08/2023
Location: Melbourne, Australia